Thursday, December 15, 2016

Northern Lights

As I am flipping through my pictures, I came across a few lovely shots of a customer quilt that I had done earlier this year. I love this quilt- it was so much fun to play with. Did I say play with??? I sure did! I love to free motion quilt with my long arm. I receive a variety of types of quilts from my customers. They are all beautiful. What I have not had the joy of working a lot on, are the "Modern" style quilts. You know the ones----they are made of mostly solid colors. The designs on them may vary, but there is always wide open spaces on them. Some people call this "negative space". I like the term wide open better. It just seems so much more positive. Sewing is positive, quilting is positive-so why shouldn't the words to describe it be positive???

A few months back, I received a quilt top from a customer of mine. I knew about this top for awhile and couldn't wait to get my hands on it. It is very modern in it's look. It is made up of different colors with a sort of zig zag'ish block style. At first glance, it reminded me of a rainbow. She told me the pattern was called " Northern Lights". It really is a neat pattern. When I brought it home into my studio and hung it up on my design board, I just stood there and stared at it. All sorts of cool ideas and designs were floating in and out of my little head. I also was thinking of various thread choices and colors. So many ideas--it was over whelming trying to narrow it all down and pick a few. I have to admit, it took me awhile to really do just that--narrow it down and finally make a pick. Aaaahhhhh, choices, choices and more choices.

Well, I finally did choose. I decided to use matching threads for each color and to do a different design for each color. I ordered the color of threads that I did not have and started to draw on blank sheets of paper what I wanted to sew. That took a couple of days. Enough time to allow the thread to arrive. It only took a couple of days. I quickly loaded it up on the frame and started the process. Oh how much fun it was. I was having so much fun just stitching away. I was in my own little world, my own little zone. I can't even tell you what the weather was doing outside. I lost all track of time, and just sewed and sewed  and sewed. I really had so much fun quilting this top, that it is sinful.
When I finally finished- I remember feeling like the cat who ate the mouse. I felt stuffed and satiated in a quilty sort of way. I called Rochelle and let her know. I could not wait to give it to her.

Here are some of the pictures. I was so exited to do this top and give it back, that in my excitement-----I forgot to take pictures. I actually took these with my cell phone after I showed her the quilt. I am not a good photographer--so the pictures do not do it justice.
This is the whole quilt top. As you can see, there is still extra batting and backing attached. I never  cut it off. I let the owner do it when they are ready to bind it. Taking scissors to some one's quilt scares me to the bones.

This is a design that I totally created. I love the movement it creates

This is one of my favorite designs on the quilt.

 I love how I was able to sew lines and combine them with other flowing designs to create neat looks. Modern quilts are fun to quilt. They really do allow for your creative side to shine through






Love stitching out feathers. Who doesn't love feathers???

My own version of an Oak leaf
I know that the pattern is called Northern Lights--but for me, I call it Northern Candy.  I felt like a child in a candy store the whole time I worked on this top. Thanks Rochelle!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment